Re: Ghan to Melbourne

On 23 Jun 1998 00:59:51 GMT, dbromage@metz.une.edu.au (David Bromage)
wrote:

>The ABC has finally caught up with the story. This morning's news said the
>first Ghan to Melbourne should be on 18th November.

G'day.

On Sunday 28/6, I picked up a copy of brochure GSR50 dated April 98.
A stop press states that The Ghan is coming to Melbourne from November
1998 - no date quoted.   The following timetable was given:

Alice Springs to Melbourne
Alice Springs, dep. 1300 Tuesday.   Adelaide, Wednesday 0800-0940.
Melbourne arr. 2040.  [ie, Daylight travel, Adelaide to Melbourne, all
the way at least in summer!

Melbourne to Alice Springs
Melbourne dep. Wednesday 2225.   Adelaide Thursday 0930-1500 (that's
what it says!), Alice springs arr. 1000 Friday.

Fares for the Melbourne Ghan were to be announced in august, from
which time bookings would be accepted.

Pete.