Re: Electrification of the rail north of Broadmeadows?

The same goes for Sunbury.  There are a fleet of P class locos that run to
and from Sunbury every day almost hourly at times as well as Kyneton and
Bendigo trains which stop there regularly.  I often get on the 7:36 from
Riddells Creek in the morning and it doesn't seem hard to fill up 3
carriages with commuters from Sunbury when we get there 15 mins later.  The
last Sprinter at night (9:40pm to Kyneton) also empties our rather bigtime
when it gets there.  There is a lot of growth on that end of the city and it
seems an obvious place to electrify the line - are there any plans to
electrify?  Is the planning underway or are there no plans at all?

I don't imagine that the Government would be willing to put very much money
into now though, being so close to it all being sold off, but I'm not
particularly up with the politics of when and how the privatisation is going
to take place.

Incidentally, does  V/Line get any sort of cut from the Met Zone2 tickets
that people use to travel out to Sunbury and back?  Or does the Met take all
the income from this line?

Reuben

Michael wrote in message <6amkvi$7tb$1@loomi.telstra.net>...
>After moving to where I am now (Glenroy) and going around this area, I am
>surprised that the electric line ends at Broadmeadows still. With the fast
>residential development to the north (i.e. Roxbrough Park and even
>Craigieburn) wouldn't it be logical for our government to upgrade public
>transport to those areas? So far the only services that go out there are
buses
>and I don't even think they run on a sunday. How would people in these
areas
>get out from there to the city?
>
>What is the possibility of electrification of this line in the near future?
>
>Another idea, thought of from the thread "UPFIELD LINE ALTERATIONS" is,
that
>both Upfield and Broadmeadows lines can be electrified to Somerton then to
>Craigieburn. Services can then be run City -> Broadmeadows ->
Craigieburn ->
>Upfield -> City, and City -> Upfield -> Craigieburn -> Broadmeadows ->
City.