Re: Melbourne's Automated Ticketing

Dave McL <davemcl@-DR*P-iprolink.co.nz> wrote:
>backward, prone to massive technical faults and does not sell the product
>(ie ticket) which Melbourne commuters expect. The fact some European
>operators do not sell day tickets on their trams does not mean Melbourne
>is incapable of selling the most common  ticket bought on its trams. You
>can programme a machine to do anything, except in Melbourne, it seems.

For certain - it's not a technical decision not to sell dailies on trams. It
would just be an extra button and an extra code for the machine to write.
Ridiculous since on Metcard-equipped buses, you CAN buy Dailies. I can only
presume it's to encourage people to buy from retail outlets, but I fail to see
the advantage to tram users.

In fact, I reckon it would have saved them money if the tram machines were the
same as the small train station machines - ie they sell dailies. That would've
meant one less type of machine to design, build and maintain.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne Australia.
Remove the spam bait to email me personally...