Re: Melbourne's Automated Ticketing

Michael Walker <walker@hotkey.net.au> wrote:
>front whereas an ATM equipped tram loads from all doors. Another flaw in
>this logic is that by not selling dailies on trams, they are making sure
>people buy two tickets on the tram - one inbound and one outbound. And
>given that outbound journeys are concentrated in 8-12 stops, I can see
>trams congesting more in the afternoon peak as people buy their 2 hour
>tickets than they would by people buying tickets in the morning over the
>space of the remaining 30 or so stops. St Kilda Road trams even more so.

Definitely.
Who, after all, is going to go to the trouble of finding a retail outlet to buy
a daily when you only save 10 cents over the price of two 2-hour tickets?

As I remember from using them a couple of years ago, many of the St Kilda Road
afternoon southbound services get so crowded around Commercial Road that you can
barely move - let alone get to an ATM midway down the tram (though any door
boarding should help this.)

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne Australia.
Remove the spam bait to email me personally...