Re: Pronunciation of Station Names

Eddie.Oliver@efs.mq.edu.au (Eddie Oliver) wrote:

>Does anyone remember (or better still, have a copy of) the send-up
>of Sydney suburban platform announcements which was produced
>during the "strine" craze maybe 20 or 30 years ago?

But of course

>Standard stopping patterns were rewritten  into what
>they sounded like in a typical sloppy announcement, e.g. "all stations"
>might have been written as "orstaish".

The following is some text I copied from Lets peek strine, by that
well-known author Afferback Lauder.

It is possible I have slightly altered the spellings with time- this
text is used as input to a text-to-speech program.  I must say the
results are quite spectacular:

Awe latters trine nair stannenant num-rye
teen plaf-form pliz.
Istrine term night sear.
Awe lattpliz.

Nuffor plafform nawshawtrine stomming milce point
naw sinny slenners chasswood norl staish toresby.

Trine num-rye teen plafform gerster rare fern,
bird and strair feel lonely.

And you might like to try my transliteration of a recent manly Ferry
announcement

Heard on the 7 p.m. ferry to Manly, 15 December 1997

Ferry-speak

Geven lazengem
Weebord ferr shwater
Feryer venias