Re: GSR-Latest

scorpion <"Scorpion"@SE Net.com.au> wrote:
>Internal sources have been talking about a $2M loss so far for the Great
>Southern Railway.  The second Ghan is well behind cost recovery. Cost
{snip}

The second Ghan was always marginal, that is why AN
only ran that service during the peak season.

What intrigues me, is the fact that CR-ANR-AN always
lost money on its pass services, just like all the
other State systems.
But our political "privatisation spin doctors" actually
believe that private operators can make a profit and
maintain high standards, without the infrastructure and
revenue earning freight operations.

If private passenger trains in the USA disappeared
years ago, why will they survive here, without direct
tax payer subsidy.?

// facetious mode ON
With Beazley and Kernot already telling us they are as
good as in and more government intervention high on the
agenda we may see the National Passenger Corporation.
// end facetious mode

----Tell
Alice Springs NT