Re: Wonderful, Customer-Responsive GSR

Crookesp wrote:

> In article <34C0F0FC.73FC04FC@ozemail.com.au>, David Johnson
> <trainman@ozemail.com.au> writes:
>
> >> For instance, we can go on the Melbourne Sydney overnight express with a
> >> sleeper leaving at midnight.
> >
> >From where?
>
> No idea. The timings etc are what we have been told by UK agents. Apparently
> there is a night train from whatever is the  Melbourne equivalent of a Grand
> Central (Flinders Street?) to which a car with eighteen sleeper berths is
> attached. I've no idea whether this is part of an XPT (a variant of the UK HST
> I have been told) or not.

The time is wrong.  The train leaves from Spencer Street.  It is an XPT (HST).  It
does have sleeping berths, and I strongly suggest booking one in the centre of the
car.  I would also recommend a look at http://www.railpage.org.au/tt/melbourne.html
for timetable information.  Details on the XPT can be found at
http://www.railpage.org.au/xpt/

> I'm certainly not about to start my stay there driving on the 'wrong' side of the
>
> road in heavy traffic, trying to find somewhere to park and all that crap.

I thought the poms drive on the 'right' (left) side of the road like we do.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard