Re: Need anything scanned ??

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998 12:10:40 GMT, steam4me@enternet.com.au (Yuri
Sos/Melbourne) took time out from wrapping gaffer tape around gerbils
and wrote:

> >Convert them to Jpeg and you can fit thousands on a CD!  ;-)
>
> But isn't JPEG "lossy" compression?  I would rather archive .TIFF onto
> a CD-ROM and have a loss-free master image with which to work.  Also
> "thousands" of images on a CD is an archiving/retrieval headache (much
> like 2-3 films on a single videotape) account sheer numbers.

It is a lossy compression, particularly if higher compressions are
used.  However, at low compression. the difference is hardly
noticeable.  These images would be a tenth or less the size of the
.tif image.

Catchya

   http://www.ozemail.com.au/~kingpin1