Re: Towards a better Passenger Service [WAS:Wonderful, Customer-Responsive GSR]

Alex Borodin <alex.borodin@qrail.com.au> wrote in article

> This is true. Rail isn't terribly affordable either. In fact, it's
> more expensive than air travel for a private (non-concession) fare
> if you take into account the amount of money people have to spend
> on food and drinks when they are sitting on a train for 14 hours
> from Brisbane to Sydney.

As opposed to the amount of money you would have had to spend on food and
drink at shops in Sydney having arrived there 12 hours earlier, plus the
exorbitant amounts charged for buses to and from the airport, eyc., etc.,

> 5-00am, actually... we don't have daylight saving in summer. I don't
> mind this
> so much if I've got a sleeper on the way up so I'm nice and refreshed,
> but 90% of the population can't afford to get a sleeper, and even if
> they
> could they wouldn't get one because there aren't enough of them.

The early arrival is okay for passengers (although it can be a killer when
they put the lights on an hour before arrival so you can have breakfast -
why don't they just let us sleep!) The difficulty with the early arrival is
for people meeting arriving passengers, and people travelling from Brisbane
to Sydney. Brisbane's public transport is not the best (I lived there for
12 months without a car, so I am aware of all its shortcomings!),
particularly on a Sunday morning. If you dont have a car, and you dont have
anyone to drop you there, forget Sunday mornings.

> > 3/They are slow,even the XPT is slow compared to the busses.
>
> That's true, but that's because the busses ignore recommended speed
> limits and such like whereas trains pretty much follow them.

All busses are speed limited, and cannot exceed 100km/h. Anyway, who said
they were faster than the XPT? I checked with Dial-A-Coash, and the fastest
bus from Sydney to Brisbane is 14hrs15mins (XPT - 13hrs36mins) and Sydney
to Melbourne is 12hrs10mins (XPT - 10hrs23mins).

--
Regards

David Proctor
daproc@bigfoot.com