Re: Papua New Guinea Rail

David Bromage wrote:

> A 100 mile tunnel has yet to be attempted. The next biggest after the
> Japan and Channel tunnels is the proposed Irish Channel Tunnel between
> Holyhead (North Wales) and Howth (Republic of Ireland). The distance is
> about 50 miles. The closest land approaches between the two islands are
> between the Mull of Kintyre and Northern Ireland (only 15 miles), but the
> easiest technically is between Stranraer and Bangor (25 miles). The only
> reason the proposers are pushing for the more expensive tunnel is that it
> would qualify for EU funding. Stranraer to Bangor doesn't link two
> countries, Holyhead to Howth does.
>
> Cheers
> David

I think you will find that there are a few islands along the way ie
Banks Isl. and prince of wales isl. Also, according to my map the depth
along the entire distance is less than 200 ft deep. It may be cheaper
and easier to merely build a land bridge between Australia and Papua New
Guinea and then site the rail line on top of that.

If the above scenario is true then the rail line could be built at
significantly less cost than by use of a tunnel. The economic benefits
for both Australia and PNG would be significant however if the line was
rated for a reasonable speed. Australia could run its export produce by
rail to West Irian then by boat to several south east asian countries.
PNG on the other hand could run its produce directly down to several
east Australian cities. Thus economic beenfits for several countries
would ensue.

cheers Peter