Re: Fremantle "FreeRider"

On 15 Jan 1998 12:33:33 GMT, nldoncas@cobweb.com.au (Nic Doncaster)
wrote:

>> The City of Fremantle (pop 25,000), where I am from, had a scheme
>> where residents recieved a special plastic magstripe plastic pass
>> which entitled free travel on Transperth services in the municipal
>> area.  The passes are validated like any other Multirider ticket and
>> the council is billed for the number of validations.
>>
> I am surprised Transperth still persist with the Multi-rider concept.
>
>I used to travel to school by train (still can here an ADX screaming along the
>mad mile, feel the crunch of its gears, and can recall the walking pace
>acceleration of an ADG, not to mention the smell of an X Class raising the
>pollution by X amount) and despite the efforts of "speedy" the conductor and his
>mates all trying to make sure we validated our tickets, the machine just
>wouldn't work properly.
>
>I am sure it cost MTT a fortune in trying to fix the "fault".
>
>30 trips for the price of 10, what a deal!
>
>Nic

Must have been the old cardboard punchcard type multiriders rather
than the current Wayfarer magstripe multiriders tickets and
validators.

I remember as a 12 year old myself getting many free rides with the
old style multiriders.  If the conductor on the train did look like he
was going to check you, then you got him to manually rip and sign the
ticket for you.  (ahhh the days of on board conductors and 12 year
olds being able to get away with anything).

Alex...