Re: 3801 and 3830 Double Headers

Chris Stratton wrote:

> Definitely restore a 36 class, but it should be 3616 and paint it black
> (apologies to Mick Jagger). There are too many green steam locos around.
> The RTM will have to put one of the spare 36 class boilers in anyway, so
> why not put it in 3616 and then we will have the Giesl as well.
> Regards,
> --
> Chris Stratton
> Wollongong, NSW, Australia
> stratton.chris.cp@bhp.com.au
>
> David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in article
> <34BC1D26.893921C8@ozemail.com.au>...
> > Barry wrote:
> >
> > > Steam is boring is my (totally arbitrary) opinion but I think it is not
> > > unreasonable to argue that a third representative of a class of 38 is a
> > > waste of scarce resources.
> >
> > I think one reason that steam has become boring is that there are really
> only
> > three steam locos running around Sydney.  Two of them are 38s!  I think
> 3813
> > should be left in bits at Dorrigo, where Keith can run around saying "It
> will be
> > running soon" just like the rest of the line, and everybody else should
> turn
> > their attention to restoring something worthwhile.  IMHO, the No. 1
> priority
> > should be the returning to service of 3642 or 3526, whichever is easiest,
> and
> > then turn to either 5711 or 6042.  I doubt the enthusiast economy can
> support
> > both at this stage.
> >
> > --
> > David Johnson, stirring the hornets nest.
> > CityRail Guard
> > trainman@ozemail.com.au
> > http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/

Without manufacturing new wheels or axles, the only 36 that could be restored
would be 3616 after the RTM swapped one one wheelset out of 3642 (fractured
axle) with 3609. This basicly renders 3609 useless and the wheelset out of 3609
that went into 3642 had the tyres turned down to almost condemning point to
match the other wheels on 3642. This I feel was an absolutly silly move by the
RTM as it only extended the life of 3642 by less than 1 year and now both 3609
and 3642 need major dollars spent on rewheeling and new axles.
                                                Bob