Re: Would an NR be faster than an XPT???

Maurie Daly wrote:

> Michael Walker <walker@hotkey.net.au> wrote in article
> <34B20637.6638@hotkey.net.au>...
> > In Rail News Victoria December issue, the comment is made in the article
> > regarding GSPE on page 10 that during the trip from Melbourne to
> > Sydney,

> Im not clear as to why an XPT hauled by an NR has a higher power to weight
> ratio than the current XPT.
> Even with the derating applied to the paxman valenta engines in the XP
> power cars they still achieve 2000HP each
> for traction , and as there are 2 of them we have 4000 HP , the same as an
> NR so the HP/tonne would be similar.

He was referring to the Great South Pacific Express which was about 6 cars
from QR, which would have been slightly lighter than a standard 7 car XPT set.

> An NR would do a bit better here than a CLP with the same load ,

True, but NR have been running a single NR on the Indian, so the speed is
considerably lower.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard