Re: Melbourne's Old Train Fleet

David Proctor wrote:

> J Richmond <richmond@melbpc.org.au> wrote in article
> <68kjcf$97$2@wombat.melbpc.org.au>...
> > Does anyone know when Melbourne will get new EMU sets?
>
> Probably when we see pigs taking off from Tullamarine! Victoria currently
> has the most anti-Pulblic Transport government in recent memory - what
> purchases have they made? The sprinters were introduced during the Kennetts
> term, but they were ordered by Labor - also the joint order for XPT's for
> the Sydney-Melbourne run. I do not believe - but I am open to correction
> here - that the Kennett government has not ordered a single piece of
> rolling stock for ANY mode of public transport - train, tram or bus. (I am
> not counting infrastructure maintenance equipment here!)

1. Private bus companies have many new buses. Whilst I am open to a more
correct interpretation, my understanding was the government does come up
with some of the bucks for new buses (although not much). I gathered
this from the scratch ticket campaign in the late 80s where the bus
operators chipped in with the fact that the new buses purchased by the
PTC at the time was about 20 times the cost per bus of the money they
received to buy buses with.
2. In fairness, why have you not included maintenance / infrastructure?
Under the Labour government, maintenance and infrastructure was not as
important as the obvious new trams / trains / buses which were obvious
things that won votes. M & I only were repaired or upgraded when the new
vehicles needed that to happen (ie 83-86 upgrading of overhead so Comeng
trains could run without limitation, similar for trams). At least under
the Liberal government, stations now look less like dark, graffiti
covered sheds and more like presentable, brightly lit, relatively clean
places. Ten years or more behind Cityrail sure but at least it has
happened.
	Having said all that, the Liberals certainly are in no hurry to look
after public transport when they can be building superhighways.