Re: Vicrail rail closures

Stephen Campbell (stecam@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
>> Lilydale to Healesville
>
>9-12-80

It was only Coldstream - Healesville which was closed. Coldstream - Yarra
Glen was reopened in 1985(?) and a few steam trips ran out there until it
was cut back to Coldstream again in 1991(?). There were still
superphosphate trains running to Coldstream in 1992.

>> Kerang to Koondrook

Not sure of the date, but the last train was "motorcaded" by people on
bicycles.

>> Baxter to Mornington

Baxter to Moorooduc Rd is open again, at least in theory.

>> Springhurst to Wahgunyah

Nominally still open, but nothing has run on it for some time.

>> Stratford to Maffra

Dismantled 2-3 years ago.

>> Nth Geelong to Fyansford

Still open, but I think cement trains recently stopped running.

>> Dimboola to Yaapeet

Still open. Regaguged in 1995.

>> Mildura to Yelta

Mildura - Merbein opened in 1910. Merbein - Yelta opened in 1925.
Still open,at least as far as Merbein.

>> Shepparton to Dookie

Opened in 1888. I think it is now nominally closed.

>> Strathmerton to Cobram

Numurhak - Cobran opened in 1888. Still open, but no regular service
beyond Strathmerton.

When you write up Nyora - Leongatha, please note that the line was never
closed. VicTrack still owns it outright and SGR leases it. It is not
allocated under an Order in Council as are the other tourist railways.

Cheers
David