Re: Australia's Biggest Dog to Watch Trains

Chris French wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> You know, this posting sounds as though it's about four months too early.
>
> It would have made a great April fool's joke...  ;-))  Unless it's true...
> :-O

Unfortunately its true.  Everyday when I drive down the street, I shall throw
it a bone :)

> One can only wonder in awe and despair, at the chronic waste of tax dollars
> at projects like this. Still, money-wasting isn't confined to Victoria.

yes, considering that the historic station building at Fairfield is termite
ridden, and they won't spend the money to restore it. But the "dog" is probably
big enuff to provide shelter for those who are waiting for a train, I guess it
will also sell tickets..

> Here in Western Australia there's a rediculous plan to 'sink' the perfectly
> good Riverside Drive along the Perth foreshore, in order to build a
> so-called 'asthetically pleasing' (to whom?) bell tower (with the Premier's
> name cast on it I might add - talk about ego))!
>
> All this at a time when public hospitals are crying out for money and, more
> relevant to this list, is the need to provide a fast rail service to
> Rockingham and Mandurah. Sometimes I really think our pollies and planners
> live on another planet - I sure wish they'd move there.!

Wow!! Public hospitals! Do you still have them over there?? Nearly all of ours
are closed.

> CF
>
> David Bennetts <davibenn@pcug.org.au> wrote in article
> <01be3438$656fef00$414c0acb@davibenn.pcug.org.au>...
> > I know this is the silly season, but yesterday on ABC Radio there was a
> > story about a six metre high dog, to be made of recycled timber, to be
> > constructed near the railway line at Fairfield, Melbourne.  The local
> > council are funding its construction cost of $50,000 as a public artwork.
> > The dog will be "interactive", ie it will be able to bark, wag its tail
> and
> > waggle its ears, and its eyes will light up.  It will also be able to
> > deliver community messages.  Its activities will be set off by passing
> > trains, and it is expected to be completed by mid-1999.  About the only
> > thing it can't do is cock its leg, but then maybe it's a bitch!

No, but I'm guessing the decision was!!>

--
Thanks, Tony.

"There is no rest for the wicked.  They are having too much fun."

Visit my Homepage: http://www.eisa.net.au/~tgatt/

** Updated: 0:53 AM 02-12-98 **

It's here: Railpix - Australian Railway Photography.
            http://railpix.freeservers.com