Re: Dorrigo

The Rhondda Line was a coal haulage line that commenced at Northern or
Rhondda Colliery to the west of Teralba in Newcastle. The line ran through
bush and mad a junction with the NSWGR at Cockle Creek. This was the main
storage site in Newcastle before and even after the decision was made to go
to Dorrigo. The engines used at Rhondda were Juno, 5069, 6039, 1051 and
possible 3028. All engines exist with dry boilers and liberal coatings of
sump oil applied over many years. The carriages and Rolling stock are
currently in a state of conservation prior to actual restoration. Yes there
is actual rolling stock out on the line at Lowanna and megan and other
places. Possibly the hardest to look at is BAB set 8 which is still marooned
at Lowanna.
The vast majority of rolling stock not at Dorrigo is relatively low risk
relatively low maintenance rolling stock, with some exceptions.
    The legal manure that has been forced upon ushas not helped anyone and
as such very little if any maintenance of rolling stock ALONG the line has
been carried out to my knowledge. HOWEVER, virtually every carriage is now
painted, every carriage roof has been resealed and is now internally dry and
an ongoing conservation process is in progress.
    The name Rag Tag railway is that forced upon us by the ABC when they
made the Big Country episode. Yes, we do get by on the cheap but you must
remember that we HAVE NOT taken money from the public purse. To my knowledge
we HAVE NOT received ANY government grant to do anything. WE OWN everything
we have outright and we have a strong suppooirtive membership base. Yes at
the moment it is a big train set but it is a modellers and historians gold
mine which without the foresight and effort of a few interested nd dedicated
people would not exist. If we were to consider life without DSR&M as if it
never existed what would we NOT have.
LOCOS A superheated 50 class, creamy Kate (chp 38), ROD's,J&AB No.2, 4,
27,Badger, Corby,
CARRIAGES - A CUB set, RFV 693, HLF170, Elliptical roof R cars, HO brake
van.
WAGONRY - PHG, SHG, LHG, FHG, SRC, GSV, K, PKF, all steel S truck,
and these are to name just a few. The collection is mind blowing when you
think and consider what had to be found to buy what.
Cheers
Greg Young