Re: Revival of the old railcars

On Thu, 24 Dec 1998 23:38:18 +1100, "David Proctor"
<daproc.spambait@umpires.com> wrote:

>Derek Woodlands wrote in message <3681cdee.247141@news.ozemail.com.au>...
>
>>I thought the 620's were up for auction?
>
>Nope - they are being refurbished for Newcastle suburban runs - looks like
>the Kiama (or Nowra, depending on which politician you listen to)
>electrification won't be going ahead for a while then - the Endeavours from
>the South Coast were supposed to replace these 620's.

The only 620 class railcars disposed of were those stored at Port
Kembla and Redfern, following the introduction of Endeavours to the
South Coast and Southern Highlands, together with a couple of sets out
of Newcastle, also replaced by the Endeavours.   Seven  sets still
remain for Hunter Valley services and in fact, a revised rostering
introduced in October (from memory), actually increases the number
required for weekday service, at the same time reducing the number of
Endeavour rosters by one.

Four 620 class sets are to receive retention toilets whilst the
remaining three will have the toilet facilities closed off.

Hunslet.