Re: Parkeston, W.A.

David Proctor wrote:
>(snip)
> >SCT train hauled by Australian Southern Rail was CLP 13 in A.S.R's new
> >livery leading ALF 21 in the old A.N. livery and surprise, surprize a
> >Westrail "L" class. All engines in power. This was a rather large train
> even
> >by A.S.R standards.
>
> Speaking of A.S.R. running large trains, when they were refuelling the IP
> loco at Cook, I was speaking to one of the NR drivers, and he said that ASR
> deliberately run trains that are too long for the crossing loops across the
> Nullabor - the idea is that other trains will be put away for them, and they
> won't get put away for anyone.

What and absolute load of **##$#!! ARTC is the ruling authority.  SCT is
the operator of the service.  ASR is the hook andf pull contractor - the
NR driver (If he did indeed make the statement) is wrong and is trying
to wind you up!  ASR does not have a policy of this nature - but
considering the reducing loads being pulled by other (taxpayer
subsidised) operators, there is more than a chance that there is a bit
of jealousy here!