Re: South Gippsland Railway and other Victorian steam operators.

On Sun, 20 Dec 1998 03:06:22 +1100, "Jeff Melvaine"
<jeffm52@rivernet.com.au> wrote:

>While following links from Railpage Australia tonight I found a web site for
>the South Gippsland Railway.  The timetable page was dated "up to March
>1998", which suggests that either they have moved/abandoned their web site
>very quietly or they have a serious operating problem.  Could anyone please
>advise if this organisation is still operating trains?

AFAIK diesel railcars.

>Also is it possible to predict the likelihood of fire bans in the Melbourne
>area (including Dandenong ranges) in late December and January?  I am aware
>that WCR suspended steam operations in November for some such reason, but
>this may be just their different business focus relative to heritage
>operators.

Total fire ban days kill all steam operation. They occur 2-6 a month
in summer I guess. Steam operators that run over summer include
Puffing Billy; Victorian Goldfields Railway (Maldon) and Belleraine
Peninsula Railway (Queenscliff).

Don't know about the others but VGR operate daily from 26/12 to 13/1
then every Wednesday and Sunday and Public holiday.
A Night train is running on new years eve (party, party, party).
Evening 'punch and nibbles' trains are to run on Saturdays 9/1 & 23/1.

Cheers

Krel

>I am planning a visit to Victoria (very) shortly after Christmas, and hope
>the information requested may save me a few wasted visits.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jeff

Just another eccentric crank.