Re: Mystery of AN's Explorer train

On 17 Dec 98 05:06:49 GMT, "Lachlan Smith" <lsmith@senet.com.au>
wrote:

>What ever happened to the former AN's 'Explorer' train which used to run
>around country South Australia? Did it go broke? I only ask this because I
>was recently reading some old copies of Catchpoint from 1993, in which
>there were articles claiming the train was an overwhelming success.
>
>Lachlan

This is also one of the questions I would like to be answered, but
like most Australian railway 'WHY?' questions it never will be.
It just started to fade away when TransAdelaide started to run
relitively frequent railcar trips to the Barossa, well for what ever
reason it stoped.  A.N. is dead, 961 is still carrying the 'Explorer'
livery and still in use by ASR, and the 'Explorer' 4 car set (+ the 2
remaing unrestored cars)  was sold by GSR to SteamRail.

The Explorer train may not exist any more, but at least the locomotive
and passenger cars were not scraped.

David Chester