Re: Bungendore log traffic ceases!

Eddie Oliver (Eddie.Oliver@efs.mq.edu.au) wrote:
> The Captains Flat branch junction is rather more than a kilometre out of
>  Bungendore. Restoring the pointwork and making the track trafficable
> (even for a short distance) might not cost all that much less than a
> new siding in a more convenient (and accessible) location. RAC might
> try to charge a fortune for installing an intermediate electric staff
> instrument, also.

You could build a new loading loop at the site of the junction., and
possibly move the Up Home.

> However the Bungendore yard sidings actually extend some distance
> towards Canberra. Where was the loading being done that was deemed
> obnoxious by the locals?

The logs were piled near the goods shed, just on the down side of the
level crossing.

I only went out there once while there were logs in the yard (last week)
and there were a lot. I'd estimate at least 20 loads by logging trucks
from Bairdwood.

Cheers
David