Re: Neutral Bay tram line

David Martin <d_martin@mountains.net.au> wrote in article
<3678793d.0@news.camtech.net.au>...
> Where exactly was the Neutral Bay tram line's steep hill?
> Looking at a street directory, I figure the line went down Wycombe St.
But
> did it cross Kurraba Rd, go into Lower Wycombe Rd, then Hayes St &
terminate
> at Hayes St Wharf?
>
> Where was Shell Cove Loop?
>
> David Martin
> Blue Mountains Railway Pages
> http://www.mountains.net.au/plaza/rail/

Hayes Street itself was quite steep.  There was a safety facility built in
Hayes Street to stop trams running onto the wharf and possibility into the
harbour, in the form of a  catch point which would deflect an out of
control tram into the gutter - it was necessary for the conductor to get
out here and hold over the points for a descending tram before it could
proceed to the terminus.

I recall reading of an amusing incident where the breakdown tram was
summonsed to retrieve a broken down tram from the Hayes St wharf.  The
breakdown tram
(C class four wheeler) was hooked up, then the entire rear apron and
coupler broke off this tram under the strain.  In the resulting commotion
dogs barked and the milko's horse shied, leaving broken bottles and spilt
milk all over Hayes St.

Regards

David Bennetts
Canberra