Re: "Doggies" (Was Vic Tangaras)

>markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) wrote in aus.rail:
>
>>The term Doggies was coined by the Melbourne press very late in the game.
My
>>uncle who was a spark driver from 1949 till 1981 NEVER used the term
"doggie"
>>but rather "swing door"

It is not surprising that the swing door cars were referred to as "doggies".
After all, they were dog boxes. In NSW the type of car with side doors and
no corridors were always referred to as such. I assume because they were
considered only suitable for canines. My wife who is from St Kilda has even
less complimentary terms for this type of car.

Barry Campbell