Re: Tangara A/C Failures

Jonathan Lau wrote:

> I've had the "pleasure" of traveling in two Tangara carriages which have
> had failed Air Conditioning units in the last several weeks. The
> Carriage numbers were D6177 & D6116. The temperature on Saturday was in
> the 30C's but inside it must of been at least 40C!
>
> When I spoke to the guard to let him know the A/C wasn't working he
> replied "Yep. I know." and that's all he had to say!! Why didn't he lock
> the carriage off and transfer passengers to other carriages?
>
> Are there any procedures in the event of A/C failures on Carriages?
>
> Jon Lau

First of all, there is no way the Crew can fix the air con, just thought I
would put this in first.
The guard upon hearing the air con was not working should of advised DFX
(defects). He/she should then proceeded to lock off the car.
Some guards know a few tricks to get the air con working but this is limited
to only a few. The only way is to get a Quippy or maintainance centre to fix
it.

One thing which has amazed me is the way some passangers just sit there. I
was working a train from East Hills to the city and some one advised me at
Circular Quay that the air con was not working. he said "Its a bloody
discrace, the air con hasn't been working since I got on at East Hills." My
reply was "Why didn't you tell me soon after you got on" as I flicked the CB
and the air came on "and why didn't you change cars?"

rgds