Re: Central Station - "New" Destination Indicator

ROY HOWARTH wrote:

> Sounding sentimental here, but it would be a shame if those old light
> indicators went. They're almost old enough to warrant a heritage order,
> but I guess they are somewhat out of place in the age of VDU's.
>
> Will they be preserved in some form? If not they should be, being the
> last example of the once common "switches and dials" inidcators once seen
> at Town Hall, Wynyard, St James etc. Was quite surprised to see stations
> like Macarthur, Holsworthy and most recently Olympic Park added to the
> displays as if they had always been there!
>
> Roy H

Yes, It amazes me how they work. I was shown a few weeks back in between trains.
They arn't my favorite indicator
but they still beat the SPIs.
As some one has said in another thread "newer isn't always better" or words to
that effect.
You never know, they might scrap the VDUs/SPIs and replace them with "switches
and dials".
This wouldn't of been the first time State Rail has bitten off their collective
nose to spite their face.

rgds