Re: Central Station - "New" Destination Indicator

Graham Fry wrote:

> To my amazement I see at Sydney's Central Station two new train
> destination boards are being constructed. They are located on the
> country train side adjacent to the toilets.
> However, the most remarkable aspect is the technology - wood, 4 sided
> turnover blocks, manual clock and not a wire in sight! While this
> technology is still common on suburban stations I find it amazing that
> at one of the busiest stations in Sydney we go back to this system.
> Does this indicate that all these new electronic indicators may not be
> as good as claimed or that their costs cannot be justified?
> Will this replace the current light system indicator located behind the
> barriers?
>
> Any ideas?

Apparantly so. The Lifts are going near where the current indicators are.
They really are in a bad spot anyway. Apparantly since the "joining" of Syd
Terminal and Central, all staff swap and apparantly some of the former Syd
Terminal staff are to perplexed by the indicators. What they will do with
the old indicators I don't know.
I believe the wooden indicators are the best. Simple and you don't have to
worry about power failures and other such problems.

rgds