Re: XPT service ? Jack.

David Johnson wrote:

> Mylorace wrote:
>
> > Jack,
> > Are you an apologist for State Rail,? or are you a bit retarded, or just a bit
> > slow on the uptake?
>
> Everything he says is accurate, what about you?
>
> > I will make it simple for you, without nit picking about
> > termonology or semantics.
> > I Stated the service is not good enough for 1998, and as a customer I expect
> > far better.
>
> Who will pay for it?

Goodness me they don't seem to find any problems paying for upgrading the Hume and
Pacific hwys ???

> > I have traveled by rail in every Country in the world, except China and India /
> > Pak,
> > so I have a bit of an Idea what service is like on the world standard.
>
> Good for you.  How much of a budget did all these railways have?
>
> > The North Coast XPT is a third rate service!
>
> On a third rate budget.

But if enough people whinge about it then the politians might pull their feet out of
tar where they have been firmly stuck for way to far

> > I will say again,
> >
> > 1. The train is rarly on time usually -15 mins.
>
> "Rarly on time usually"  Suffice to say "Sigh".  I'm sure even Eben would have fun
> correcting this.
>
> > 2.As a customer I don't want to Know about lack of a spare train or overuse or
> > the hours worked? by rail workers, or track conditions or any of that nonsence
> > (as a railfan they are of interest)
>
> But you do want to know why it is late?
>
> > 3. $186.00 for a 840 return trip is up there with the world rate (except Japan)
> > but the service is not.
>
> Yes, but you are paying for all the freebies in first class.  The government does
> not re-imburse CountryLink for all the pensioner travel.
>
> > 4.`Yes Planes are sometimes late, but never with the regularaty of the NC XPT
>
> True, but when planes run late, they do a good job of it.
>
> > and with planes you have a choice of carrier,
>
> You will soon when QR starts running to Sydney.

Pity it is only Sydney

> > and the staff are seldom surley,
> > and planes are almost always clean and better maintained.
>
> How much does it cost?

Who ????

> > 5.I am not having a whinge for the sake of it, I want a much better service,
> > don't you,? dont we all,? and as I said if we sit back and cop it," Shee'l be
> > right mate"
> > and this will never get any better.
>
> Then pay for it!  Put up $200 million, and CountryLink would love to buy some tilt
> trains.

> > 6. Don't know about car" G," I travel first Class, If I want a full strength

> > Beer, dont I
> > have a right to one?
>
> Are you allowed to have full strength beer on a bus?  Or any beer at all?

No but theres no stoping some one at one of the meal stops

> >  Look at the big picture Jack, shouldn't we be trying to get more trains,and
> > not be talking about scrapping the Dubbo service or any others, a better more,
> > reliable,
> > cleaner, and more friendly service would attract far more custom
>
> Pay for it.  The money which might possibly have been able to be used is now
> located at Homebush Bay.
>
> > The French TGV or one like it would be wonderful on the very scenic N/C trip.
> > and at about half pace would do the trip in 4 hours
>
> The French TGV would get as far as Broadmeadow and stop.

That would be right for a NSW train service

>  That is as far as the
> wires go.  Even if the line was electrified, it would take the same amount of time
> as the XPT, as the speed is dictated by the track.

> > ( and I could get a proper
> > drink
> > if I wanted one)
>
> Not if the operator deemed it unsafe to serve to the passengers.
>
> > now don't tell me about unsuitable track or any of that, as a
> > customer I don't want to know about that, that naturally is part of the deal,
>
> OK, we won't tell you.
>
> > think "Big Picture" Jack, no more of shee'l be right mate, and the poor Rail
> > workers, and that rubbish, try and think like a customer and try to get
> > Australia a proper
> > rail service,
>
> Pay for it.
>
> > and for a bit of an education for you, splurge a bit, and have a
> > look at the rest of the world, Start with the very much improved AMTRAK
> > service, try the
> > LA to New Mexico trip about the same distance,
>
> I'm sure if you paid for Jack to do all this, he would be grateful.
>
> > then try to tell me the XPT is
> > any good,
>
> The XPT is pretty damn good given the resources allocated.  It is run with a
> shoestring budget, conveying many non-paying passengers over 3rd class track over
> the longest distances for any railway in the world.

Strange I travelled on the Spirit of the Outback from Longreach to Brisbane and there
I was thinking it was a slightly longer train trip than between Sydney and Brisbane.
What a good service it was staff were friendy and the food great.

> If you are unhappy with the train, I'm sure there will be a pensioner behind you
> who would love your seat.
>
> --
> David Johnson
> CityRail Guard