Re: Reopen V/line branches

MarkBau1 wrote:

> <<<<<<<When the Mansfield line closed in 1978, the local railway engineer
> ripped
> out the grade crossings over the SG to prevent tourist railway type
> activities>>>>>>>>
>
> Not sure what you mean by a "local railway engineer" but a decision like that
> would have to come from Head Office.
>
> Mark.
>
> Visit my train pic website at:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/

Yes Ok but the local railway W&W Engineer did have a lot to do with the
demolition of the system whilst he was in charge. I think that Head Office were
quite happy to rubberstamp much of what was suggested because that was unofficial
govt policy to close down the railways in favour of road transport. They started
with the branch lines - there are none left - and then tackle the main lines
e.g.chopping of the outer ends. Look at Bairnsdale, Port Fairy, Yarram etc.

David.