Re: Reopen V/line branches

Michael Milway wrote:

> When the Mornington line closed some key blocks of land were sold off so
> fast that someone of a cynical frame of mind might possibly suggest a
> consiracy to stop the line from being re-opened.
>
> This line would have made a fantastic preseved line. I remember lots of
> picnic trains in Summer bringing hundreds of people down to enjoy the
> town, beaches and parks. The turntable easily took K class locos. Its a
> shame that the preservation group can only run from Morooduc to near
> Tanti Park.
>
> The railmotor stopping places on this line would have been good
> candiates for the shortest platform award.
>
> Michael Milway.

You don't have to be a cynic to say that. That was official govt policy then
(and maybe still is) to stop those bloody railway enthusiasts before they
start asking us for money or worse prevent us from allowing our mates to
gain financially from the land sales.

When the Mansfield line closed in 1978, the local railway engineer ripped
out the grade crossings over the SG to prevent tourist railway type
activities. That appeared to fail because the locals started muttering about
running an isolated operation out of the Tallarook goods yard to Yea. (The
line between these two stations is very scenic and would have been a great
tourist attraction.) Now instructions were issued in indecent haste to tear
up the whole line and sell the rails etc. Now let 'em try and run trains out
there.

No you don't have to be cynical, a realist will be just fine.

David.