Re: XPT service ? Jack.

David Langley wrote in message <366E6A71.715803D2@ancc.com.au>...

<snip>

>I agree. The railways in this country have for too long now occasionally
bought new
>equipment and then run it into the ground before deciding to do something,
>inevitably closure or reduction. They should be taking a leaf out of the
bus
>peoples books and be replacing/cascading stock on a regular basis say every
tens
>years or so. OK there is no money you say but that's because the pollies
have toooo
>much say in OUR railways. Or should I say there is too much political
interference
>for nobodys gain except theirs. A private operator might see it differently
lets
>hope.

One of the problems of rail transport is that there is no where to cascaade
stock to these days. It has to earn its living on the main line to the end
of its days. Now this can be overcome by good maintenance but why bother.
Rail transport is largely used by concession travellers. Take away the
concessions and see how many passenegers you get.

Barry Campbell