Re: Clarification - (Railroad gradients)

I have a book on Railroad Engineering that gives the correct formula.

"Grade lines or gradients are designated by the vertical change in 100 feet.
A grade rising 2 feet in a horizontal distance of 100 feet is called a plus,
or ascending, 2 percent, or two-nought, grade, commonly written + 2.0 grade;
a grade line descending a half foot in one hundred is called a minus
nought-five grade, written - 0.5, or - 0.5 per cent.

A grade of 45 degrees would be a 100 percent grade. A locomotive having only
driving wheels and no tender could theoretically just maintain itself at a
uniform slow velocity on  a grade of about 243/4 per cent. The steepest
trolley road grades are about 15 per cent."

Hope this helps

John Wayman