Re: Victorian turntables

G'day,

Stuart Thyer wrote:

> AFAIK, Robinvale is still available (could be wrong), Numurkah definately
> is not.  Numurkah TT seems destined to go to Tocumawl, pity, would be more
> use at Shepparton.

Is it 53 or 70 foot (ie, long enough for an R?)

> > > What is the current status of the ex-Woodend turntable moved to Castlemaine?
> >
> In the ground for ages, not connected to any roads.  When it is
> connnected, the cost of bringing on staff at Castlemaine will probably not
> make it worth using anyway and trains will continue thru to Bendigo.

Maybe, but.....
It's part of the plans for the Maldon railway, as is the Castlemaine island
platform, signal box etc etc.  I would anticipate that at some stage loco's will be
turned there every weekend, then back out onto the branch to Maldon.
(thinks....would be nice to see Y112 hauling one of those trains of 4 wheelers at
"Steamfreight 200X.....")

Cheers,
CH.
--