Re: XPT Whinge,(cont)

David Langley wrote in message <366F2657.98ACD61C@ancc.com.au>...

<snip>

>I suppose that concession fare travel is only on the rail because it is a
govt
>policy to permit this travel for those eligible but the govt has no power
to force
>the private operators to permit this sort of travel to the extent that rail
does,
>rail after all is owned by the govt.

It would not be that difficult to provide the service to bus/air passengers.
When I worked for the SRA which was nearly 20 years ago pensioners simply
had coupons for their free fares which were sent out with their pension
cards. When tickets were issued the coupon was remitted to the state
treasury for payment. The government doesn't want to extend it because it
would cost even more money than it does now.

Barry Campbell