Re: New timber mill at Tumut

>>> It was announced today that a new pulp and paper mil will be built at
>>> Tumut. Surely this strengthens the case for reopening the line even more.
>>> Logs are already being sent from Tumut to Junee by road, and then Pt
>>> Kembla by rail.
>

>Heard on the news this morning that this mill will generate around 300000
>tonnes of paper products per annum.
>Amounts to around 1000 tonnes per day.
>Its getting close to the point where rail transport is viable given that a
>fair bit of the line still exists, and it wouldnt need to be a heavy line ,
>48s could easily handle the loads.

The bridge at Gundagai will probably kill any hope of reopening the
line. It would be interesting to see who would get the linehaul
contract and how they would service it. NRs lightest locos would be
the ANs at about 114 tonnes. FC and Austrac have 48s. GN and VLF have
Ts. Like I said the viaduct will kill it.

Cheers

Krel

>No chance of course of the line being re-opened,unless the paper company
>wanted to foot the bill.
>Another of the problems of horizontal integration.
>
>cheers
>MD

Just another eccentric crank.