Re: 1 in x versus %

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998 16:09:49 +1030, "David Martin"
<d_martin@mountains.net.au> wrote:

>Anyone know the conversion formula?

divide 100 by the "1 in" number.
EG 1 in 50 becomes 100/50=2%; 1 in 33.3 becomes 100/33.3=3%.

In D. Wardales new book he talks about 20 o/oo grades. My guess is its
a percentage moved one decimal point. (20 o/oo equals 2% equals 1 in
50).

Cheers

Krel

>David Martin
>Blue Mountains Railway Pages
>http://www.mountains.net.au/plaza/rail/
>

>James Robinson wrote in message <36688076.5651@ERIE.NET>...
>>David Bennetts wrote:
>>
>>> The line at Roaring Camp ... is about 1 in 12 (of course the
>>> yanks use a % grade, just to be different.
>>
>>Interesting that you should bring this up, as Australia seems to be in
>>the minority with this one.  I believe most of the rest of the world
>>uses percent to describe gradients, which is eminently more intuitive
>>than the "1 in" system.  There are a few countries that seem to have
>>clinged to the British method, mostly those whose railroads began under
>>British influence.  (Though wasn't everybody's?) With the conversion to
>>Metric, I would have thought that the description of gradients would
>>have changed as well.  Seems to be an anomaly.  Any comments?

Just another eccentric crank.