Re: Hamersly Iron info

In article <74cle6$a53$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  thalytgv@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I been told this company recently scrapped 46 main line locomotives.
>
> Why don't they sell them like AN did with their EL class, I'm sure they will
> find a buyer within Australia easily (eg ASR) and the buyer can rebuilt the
> loco within a reasonable amount of price.
>
> I think most of their rolling stocks are competible to most of the Australian
> Railway loading gauge.
>
> James

Me thinks that these locos (Alcos & GEs from memory) would be too heavy for
the Trans line (25+ ton axle loads on 47kg rail) and too big for anywhere on
the East Coast (plus more 47 kg rail).

The NRs are about as big/fat as you can run on the 'Interstate' network. 90s
are heavyer, but normally run only on the coal roads in the Hunter.

BC