Re: Murray Bridge to Mt Lofty Regrade

< Tell > wrote:

> Neil Waller <nwaller@denr.sa.gov.au> wrote:
> >
> >There are a few people around Blackwood who would agree with you
> >if we are to believe the Sunday Mail last weekend.
>
> I noticed that as well, is the "terrible squealing" the
> residents complained about, the NR's controlled
> wheel slip.?
>
> >I was merely commenting on Max Michell's proposal given that,
> >unfortunately, $300 million to go over the range at Truro or
> >Angaston is apparently beyond our reach.
>
> I understand that.
>
> >It makes emminent sense to go this way provided that the extra distance
> >did not unduly affect train times.
>
> I am sure there are other possibilities, but whatever
> route chosen, the land acquisition will cost plenty.
> If there *ever* is a complete realignment, it would be
> hard not to imagine an improvement in times.
> When AN floated the idea years ago, I believe there was
> no detailed study on a bypass, just a corporate idea.!

[snip --- Terry Burton ]

Yes!, there was a detailed study in about 1990. The main thrust of the
bypass was to reduce freight times between Melbourne / Adelaide to 14
hours. The route headed north from Murray Bridge  and popped out near
Freeling where a line headed West to meet the Pt Augusta line.
The line also split to head south back to Adelaide and Dry Creek.

The proposed line speed was 130km/hr which would be matched by upgrades
in Victoria across the Maroona line. Whilst 130km/hr was expected
on straight track, most curves on this line were only uprated by about
20%.

Using TE files for 130km/hr geared G locos, train times of 14 hours
were achievable. However, the simulations did not allow for
delays due to train crosses or crew changes.

At the time, the main issue was the upgrading cost of the hilly line
vs the advantages of a freshly graded new line that could take
advantage of speed as weel as bypassing Dry Creek altogether.

pjv