Re: Hamersly Iron info

Hi,

I assume you are asking about the concept of a relay crew van. The
Ghan used one in the 1940's.[ARHS Bulletin Feb 89 story by Eric Adam]

I think several present day Australian situations use them.

Cheers
Peter Cokley

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998 19:26:55 +1000, "David Rowe" <drowe@tpgi.com.au>
wrote:

>Gang,
>
>I just found this thread on a US Railroad message board.Is this info true? I
>know about the CD player and the microwave,but I find the rest hard to
>believe.
>
>David
>QLD
>
>>the C44-9W's that were built for Hamersly Iron in Australia DO have CD
>players in them. In addition, they have microwave ovens. The reason behind
>this is that the crews (1 man, at that), are on the road for a couple of
>days at a time. They switch off crews on the road, with the other crew
>staying in an RV-type vehicle behind the locomotive.

Peter Cokley
Flightsim pilot
Aviation History Buff

http://www.ion.com.au/~petan