Re: Origin of Up/Down railway terms - Britian, etc

Re Queensland - many of the lines to the inland go UPhill, as they head away
from the coast??!!

re USA/Canada (Also systems with no real centre): East-bound/west-bound or
North-bound/south-bound BUT:

London Underground (and Glasgow?) Circle Line: Inner RAIL (sic) -
anti-clockwise track (left-hand running) and Outer RAIL - clockwise!

Also: Sydney City loop line - "down", i.e. increasing distance markings is
CLOCKWISE (Wynyard to Goulburn St via St James) BUT signal designations are
in CHAINS measured from Central ANTICLOCKWISE! (presumably because
Central-St James was the first section opened).

Barry Campbell wrote in message <6qeuk0$asq$1@news.mel.aone.net.au>...

>Ronald Leslie BEST wrote in message <35caa2f9.0@139.134.5.33>...
>>I think the concept of "up" and "down" in Britain pre-dates the railways
>>(and possibly also the canals). One spoke of going "up" to "the
Metropolis"