Re: Long Shifts and the Demise of AN

<snip>
shifts, as a rule of 9 hours maximum.

>AIUI AN had 11 hour limit on normal working and around 8 hours on
>relay. NRC has 11 hours on normal working, 12 hours on TAR/CAR and 15
>hours on 3 up working (3 person crew, 2 in loco + 1 resting in van -
>swapping every 5 hours or so). ASR has 12 hours shifts on everything.

Now lets just wait for the accidents ....

As TRAINS magazine points out
 Traincrew not rested properly = lots of prangs

And unrested crews was supposedly a large contributing factor to the
Beresfield Accident (and lots of accidents back into the 1800's - if I could
get at my Bulletins I could easily find references to a dozen).

Kim