Re: TGV selected for Australia

dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:

>Australian Prime Minister John Howard announced minutes ago that the TGV
>had been chosen for the Sydney - Canberra high speed railway. It will be
>built and operated by Speedrail, a consortium of Leighton Holdings,
>Qantas, SNCF and BZW.
>
>Unsuccessful bids included the Adtranz X2000, Siemens ICT and Thyssen
>Transrapid. The Fiat Pendolini and RSA Talgo had dropped out some months
>ago.

A sensible decision, at least it is "conventional".

Did anybody hear the PM say on ABC that this is the
rebirth of Railways in Australia.
For pass trains maybe.!  The Canberra crew seem to
forget that our freight railways are in need of a
rebirth as well.

Meanwhile Bob "its a big turn around" Carr is over in
the corner sulking, he wanted a Maglev.

Cheers

----Terry Burton
Alice Springs NT