Re: Webb Dock - What's Up Dock?

On Sat, 01 Aug 1998 23:56:51 GMT, steam4me@enternet.com.au (Yuri J
Sos/Melbourne AUS) wrote:

>On 1 Aug 1998 04:35:21 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
>wrote, and I selectively quote:
>
>>NR and Patricks should file a Supreme Court injunction to prevent this new
>>track (and the old track) from being removed. If the line can be relaid to
>>run rail reclaimation trains, it can run revenue trains.
>>

>The reason given was the loss of rail access due to the docklands
>stadium developments and the lack of track/loading areas anywhere else
>in Melbourne.
>
>A bonanza year for the truck industry as Jeff finishes off "fixing up
>the unions".
>
>And what of the rest of the line to Webb Dock?  This line is intact
>and in good shape beyond the City Link overYarra bridge.  I was wrong
>in an earlier post, it is wooden sleepered, so it could have been
>standard gauged.  Concrete sleepers extended from Footscray Road to
>the downside of the Charles Grimes bridge.

Talk about a lost opportuntity!!

In Charleston,SC,USA they had a problem - the rail line to the docks
ran right through the tourist area (down the middle of the street!).
Solution - rather than rip it up or hide it the late, great Southern
Railway painted a loco in a siutable unique scheme, numbered it for
the Citys' founding year, added City logos and a great sound system
replaced the bell. Now the "River Street Rambler" still runs to/from
the docks playing dixieland!! It has become a tourist attraction!

A container shuttle service running between Webb Dock and North
Dynon/South Dynon/Appleton Dock run either jointly or by another
operator (GNRS?) would help reduce road congestion and encourage use
of rail. Even with some sort of curfew (say 2230-0630) to avoid upset
the neighbours a reasonable service could run.

Shuttle trains could either gauge (or Both with a bit of trackwork ;-)
).

I believe that similar shuttles are running/planned for
Freemantle/Botany/Brisbane areas. Why not Melbourne?

cheers

Krel

All's well that ends.