re Detonating Signals

The main reason I think that you or we dont hear the det,s anymore is
probably because the role of the fettler has changed from immediate repair
to section shutdown & major overhaul ie concrete sleepers continual weld
track  etc
That is in metro areas  In country areas the dets are still very much in
evidence  to provide protection to work crews & warning to engine crews of
a problem in advance
Detonaters are still carried by all trains (under lock & key ) & by all
perway staff as a mandatory safety tool
                                           Pete Kilburn