Re: Webb Dock - What's Up Dock?

In article <6pu5u9$6q$1@news.mel.aone.net.au>, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:
>Yuri J Sos (steam4me@enternet.com.au) wrote:
>> I've just driven past MFT this Saturday morning (1 Aug 98) on the way
>> to work and can confirm that new track is being *laid* from the
>> automatic gates (at the intersection of Footscray Road/Piggott Street
>
>NR and Patricks should file a Supreme Court injunction to prevent this new
>track (and the old track) from being removed. If the line can be relaid to
>run rail reclaimation trains, it can run revenue trains.

Guys,

The final say.

It is hard to believe that in 1998 we have a situation where 3 different
organisations have request access to the Webb Dock Line over the past 3 years.
There is enough business in that dock for rail to eclipse any other dock in
the Port of Melbourne. Further, The line was originally laid for dual gauage
on the road crossings and the Yarra River bridge as V/line originally saw the
need for a SG service to Web Dock. However, the Government of Victoria's
anti-rail policy has won over again. IMHO, Vline Freight are far too soft as
are the Port of Melbourne. (Is the port of Melbourne Authority worth anything
less in value since inadequate rail access is now a problem?)

Finally, one could be excused for thinking the value V/line Frieght would now
be worth significantly less to a rail company looking at purchasing the
organisation.  If we assume the creme de la creme of container traffic growth
is coming out of Web Dock, or will over the next few years, then we have taken
a significant slice of end to end available business away from rail in
Melbourne (and this country) and probably prevented any competition to
trucking in and out of the biggest/busiest dock in Melbourne. From a transport
perspective, that is disgraceful and perhaps criminal. What are the
implications for exporting farmers who want to create a direct link to the
ports? It would appear the needs of our primary producing friends in the rural
sector have been overlooked once again.

The following was printed in the Age Newspaper yesterday by the Victorian
Government which in light of recent events with the docklands, makes me laugh

"SALE OF V/LINE FREIGHT CORPORATION"

"....... V/Line Freight is a rail-based freight business centred in Victoria,
the hub of Australia's transport industry and centre of Australian
manufacturing-based activity....."

Victoria is a big looser today, perhaps another nail in the coffin of
Australia's alledged "National Transport Hub" ? How can you make a statement
(as above) witha very small portion of your biggest customer base
inaccessible?

Comments?

Regards,
Brian Evans