Re: Help train operating questions

In article <60nk6n$8du@news.tbsa.com.au> pberrett@tbsa.com.au (Peter Berrett) writes:
>From: pberrett@tbsa.com.au (Peter Berrett)
>Subject: Help train operating questions
>Date: 29 Sep 1997 07:09:11 GMT

>Hi all

>I have just been pondering the practicalities of building and operating a
>solar train from Sydney to Perth.

>I have some general train questions that I hope some experienced train staff
>can help me with.

>1. What are the lightest wheels permissable that can be used on Australian
>tracks? I imagine that the small track inspection cars have small light
>wheels.Possibly some old track inspection cars could be converted as a series
>of articulated solar carriages.

>2. If a small solar train was built what would the minimum licence be
>required to operate it on the standard gauge track between Sydney and Perth
>and where would one get such a licence. Would a steam drivers certificate as
>gained at a local steamrail society be enough?

>3. What is the maximum track speed allowed generally on the track across
>Australia? Any speed restrictions?

>4. Any other major legal or technical hurdles that I may have overlooked.

>Hoping someone can help

>cheers Peter

Dunno about the administrative hurdles,but here are some enginneering problems
you will have to solve.

A train using steel wheels on steel rails on the flat needs approx 1 - 1.5 HP
/ tonne to move at about 50km/h constant speed, lets assume 1.5 HP  needed to
allow for some aceleration capability.
1.5 HP =1119 Watts.
The best solar cells you can get at the moment achieve efficiences of 23% tops
, and the maximum energy achieveable from sunlight under clear skies in the
middle of summer at the latitudes of Australia is 1000 Watts / sq metre , so
to get the required amount of power you will need 4.86 say 5 sq metres of
solar collector capacity.
You will have to allow for cloudy days and running at night time if needed and
also enough power to get up hills of 1:40 so you will need about 8 sq metres
of solar cell capacity.
You will also need a wallet with about $25000 to pay for the solar cells
(high efficiency solar cells cost $10 per watt), not including the batteries,
charging regulator, electric motor to power the train etc.
This assumes that the whole train weighs no more than 1 tonne.
I suspect that a cheaper solution would be to use solar collectors as used by
solar hot water services to boil water to drive a small steam turbine to
generate the electricity, would be a bit cheaper.

I wish you luck.

MD