Re: Passenger Cars and the long haul

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997 22:31:02 -0700, Craig Haber
<albatross@harnessnet.com.au> wrote:

>The thing with pass cars is that you can get very long life out of the
>steel body, and seriously modify the rest of the vehicle as need be.
>
>For example the S cars on the VR/PTC/WCR etc.  In their most developed
>form (the BRS car) you have modern electrical and aircon equipment,
>'new' bogies (ie, the SOP bogies have all been replaced by Harris
>bogies), and there's no reason why you can't continue to modify the
>interior as the market demands.  By recycling a carriage as such, you
>can save lots of $$$.  Another example are the BZN cars.

snip

>I guess my point is that providing the steel frame/body remain sound,
>there's no reason why you can't continue to develop a carriage according
>to more modern requirements, and this will save the cost of
>designing/developing/building prototypes/testing/accepting/etc etc new
>rollingstock.
>
>Cheers,
>Craig.

Tranzrail in New Zealand have been remarkable at reconstructing old
passenger rolling stock to meet modern market demands.  There are old
carriages used in intercity services which date from the 40's.  The
most recently refurbished look to the uneducated eye "like new".  They
have had panoramic windows cut inro them, modern style interior
linings, air conditioning and new seating installed.

But then the unsubsidised nature of intercity passenger services in
New Zealand means that vast expense on new rolling stock for what is a
low profit business activity can't be justified.  Other innovative
means have had to be used to upgrade rolling stock.

Alex Campbell