Re: Double Stacking

wrote:

>In article <5vnmh0$c37$1@reader1.reader.news.ozemail.net> telljb@ozemail.com.au (Terry Burton) writes:
>>From: telljb@ozemail.com.au (Terry Burton)
>>Subject: Re: Double Stacking
>>Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:36:27 GMT
>
>>David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
>>>Approval has been given for the operation of double stack containers between Goobang
>>>Junction and Broken Hill provided the following special conditions are observed:
>>>- The maximum height above rail level shall not exceed 5.850m
>>>- Containers must be secured to each other at all four points.
>>>- The lighter container must be loaded on top of the heavier container.
>>>- Double stacked containers must not use the loop at Euabalong West.
>>>--
>>>David Johnson
>
>>We are getting there, albeit slowly.!
>
>Incredibly slowly unfortunately.
>Double stacking to Parkes whilst welcome isnt really of any great value unless
>the freight is destined to terminate at Parkes.
>Double handling of containers to simply reload a single stack train from a
>double stacked train to simply allow it to continue to its destination is a
>total waste of time and money.

Also makes loading and unloading more complex, thus slower and more
expensive.

>What is needed is an overall strategic plan to decide whether it is possible
>economically to alter the loading guage to allow double stacking to at least
>Melbourne & Sydney.

Money would be better spent geting rid of sharp curves and laying
double track all the way.

>If not , then double stacking will never really be of any value , and it would
>be better to plan for the running of much longer trains with existing single
>stack containers, and I mean trains of 5000 tonnes plus of lengths 2 km +.
>Easy these days with modern technology & locotrol.
>
>MD

The other down side to double stacking is lower train speeds for given
track conditions,  due to higher axle load and higher center of
gravity. Also double stacks push more air.

>Maurie Daly
>Department of Communications Lab.
>Canberra
>Australia