XPT thoughts

Looking at the Grafton XPT docking and loading yesterday, a thought struck
me. The train is the wrong way around! First class passengers have to walk
the entire length of the train to get to their cars. The first class cars
should be closest to the buffer stop at Sydney Terminal.

There is also a way trains can be lengthened. A longer version of the
Xplorer EB car built to work in multiple with XPs could be placed in the
middle of the consist. A powered trailer (which I'll call the XNF assuming
economy class seats) with 500hp at the rail and weighing about 55t would
not be technically difficult. A 2+9 consist for intercapital runs could be
XP-XAM-XL-XB-XBR-XNF-XF-XF-XF-XFH-XP. This would give about 3900hp to move
the set.

There was also a proposal for a driving trailer, which I will call the XDF.
A 1+4 consist for short runs (e.g. Canberra) could be XDF-XNF-XBR-XFH-XP.
This would have 2300 hp at the rail. I don't think a single XP In a
XDF-XF-XBR-XFH-XP consist would be able to hold a tight schedule.

Cheers
David