Re: Speed Restrictions & Enforcement

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997 12:18:12 +1200, Bill Guest <wguest@xtra.co.nz>
wrote:

>So far as I know, there is no statute in Aus or NZ making speeding in a
>train an offence, or even being drunk in charge of a train! However,
>both countries have general provisions about reckless use of machines
>endangering the lives of others, so I guess the police could act if they
>received a complaint and could gather evidence. Of course, the railways

Victoria certainly has a statutory requirement (about a year or so
old) that rail operating staff have a blood alcohol content of .00%
along the same lines as the stringent Australian road laws on that
subject.   I think NSW also has such a provision.   IIRC a couple of
NSW operators have been stood down when tested on signing on or while
working -- Junee comes to mind as a location.

Cheers
Tony